Syllabus: LAW AND JUSTICE I
Instructor: Brian McLamb
Essential Standards and Indicator Statements
|1.00||Understand Careers in Law and Justice|
|2.00||Understand Basic Criminal Justice System|
|3.00||Understand Basic Criminal and Constitutional Law|
|4.00||Apply Procedures Used to Create Police Reports|
|5.00||Understand the Use of Force|
|6.00||Apply Procedures used in Approach and Arrest of Suspects|
|7.00||Understand Patrol Operations|
|8.00||Understand Traffic Codes and Investigations|
|9.00||Understand Community Policing, Conflict Resolution, and Cultural Diversity|
|10.00||Understand Sentencing and Correctional Issues.|
|11.00||Understand Agency Administration|
|12.00||Understand Ethics in Law and Justice|
- Attendance and Participation – Regular attendance and participation are essential for satisfactory progress in this course.
- Completed assignments- Each student is responsible for completing all assignments on time and as instructed.
- Team Participation (if applicable) – Each student is responsible for participating in team assignments.
- Students must bring their County issued Chromebook and charger. The essential course content will be delivered using Canvas, however students will also need to have one spiral notebook (with pockets for handouts)
- #2 Pencil and/or Pen
- Students need to wear comfortable athletic type shoes for activities outside when needed.
- Course content will be available in Canvas by accessing the appropriate module.
- EmpowerED Family Portal (for parents)
- CLASSWORK (25%)
- LABS/PROJECTS (HANDS ON ACTIVITIES / DEMONSTRATIONS) (25%)
- QUIZZES (25%)
- TESTS (25%)
(Homework and Classwork assignments will be outlined and completed in Canvas. A majority of the assignments will need to be completed in class due to the heavy reliance on classroom discussion and internet)
Make-up Work rules/procedures
- ALL assignments need to be turned in on time. Late assignments will be subject to 2% penalty for every day it is submitted late. Assignments may be submitted all the way up until the last day of the respective grading period.
- Students that are absent for ANY reason MUST check Canvas daily to view assignments that are due.
- Assignments will be graded in Canvas and written feedback will be given in the comment section. Students are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to review the feedback, address the issue in the assignment, and then re-submit before the due date to receive a higher grade. (My goal is to give students immediate feedback)
- Grades will be entered in Canvas as soon as possible. Parents are encouraged to check powerschool for grades.
Scores will determine the letter grade according to the State Grading Scale.
1st Period - Public Safety I
2nd Period- Planning
3rd Period- Public Safety I
4th Period- Law and Justice
Office Hours- Tuesdays 7am-7:45am / Thursdays 3pm-3:45pm / or by appointment **TBD due to Covid
I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org as needed
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.