Ms. B. Ellis, MBA
Porter Ridge High School
CTE Business Education Teacher
2839 Ridge Road
Indian Trail, NC 28079
Principles of Business and Finance
(last rev. Aug. 2019)
General Description: This course introduces students to topics related to business, finance, management, and marketing to cover business in the global economy, functions of business organization and management, marketing basics, and significance of business financial and risk management. English language arts, social studies, and mathematics are reinforced. Aligned Career Technical Student Organization: An association for Marketing Education students (DECA); Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
A = 90-100 = 4.0
B = 80-89 = 3.0
C = 70-79 = 2.0
D = 60-69 = 1.0
F = < 59 = 0.0
Each 6-week grade is based upon:
Classwork/Note Book 15%
Projects and Verbal Presentations 35%
General Assessments/Tests 30%
Your final course grade is based upon the following:
First 6-week Grading Period 25%
Second 6-week Grading Period 25%
Third 6-week Grading Period 25%
State CTE State Final Exam 25%
· Chrome Book & Power Cord
· Head phones and/or ear buds
The CTE state post-assessment will be a 100-item multiple choice test administered through the NC Instructional Management System. The course is designed using the Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy (RBT). Subsequently, the post-assessment is aligned directly to the objective and specific content unpacked for each objective. It is directly aligned to the RBT level of the objective and the reflective manner in which the content is organized. For example, if content is unpacked as facts, then test items will assess factual information. If a procedure is unpacked, then test items will assess steps in the procedure.
- Be prepared for class with notebook, computer, headphones, and writing utensil every class period.
- Respect others and their belongings. Cooperate with your classmates. Respect your school, school materials, and your possessions.
- Be on time and in your seat when the bell rings.
- Be alert, listen carefully, and participate.
- Do not bring FOOD or DRINKS into class. Bottled water is allowed when seated at desks.
- Follow computer rules. Streaming movies, video games, or on inappropriate websites are NOT allowed. Please refer to student handbook.
- Inappropriate use of cell phone, tablet, or other electronic device will result in a student referral.
- Cheating/Copying results in an automatic zero. Please read school handbook for honor code. No make-ups are allowed.
- Clean up after yourself. Place all trash in the appropriate trash receptacle.
- Students are expected to keep up with their make-up work from any missed days.
- The student is solely responsible for scheduling make-up tests or quizzes with the teacher.
- Class assignments and notes will be available in Canvas.
- Students and parents can keep track of student progress by viewing grades posted in PowerSchool.
- The majority of assignments not completed on paper must be submitted on our learning platform, Canvas. Assignments can be submitted in a variety of ways including, uploading files, typing into text boxes, and sharing Google documents/presentations. Students will be shown how to submit assignments on Canvas as needed. Individual assignments will indicate which method of submission on Canvas is expected.
- It is the student's responsibility to ensure assignments are submitted on time and to contact the instructor if there is a problem. Please note that student activity is logged while in Canvas so instructors, students, and parents/guardians will be able to see student activity.
- Students are not allowed to leave the testing window during assessments. Doing so is considered cheating and will be handled as set forth in the Porter Ridge HS handbook.
- NOTICE: Although many assignments are submitted and graded in our learning platform, Canvas, the "final" grades shown may not be properly weighted and do not contain assignments that were not graded in Canvas.
- For the student's official grades, please continue to access the parent portal through PowerSchool.
I have read and understand the class rules, procedures, content, and course grade requirements for this course.
I will follow the policies as established.
____________________________ ____________________________ _______________
Student Name Student Signature Date
_____________________________ _______________ _________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature Date Parent E-mail Address
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.