Rowell - Health and Physical Education – S2
Welcome to Freshman Health/Physical Education
Please understand that UCPS , CATA, and the CATA Health/Physical Education department are going to follow all safety protocols in effect to do all we can to ensure everyone's safety. Safety is our number one concern. This means a lot of things are going look different but I believe that different is the new normal. When in PE we'll sanitize all of our equipment as directed by the UCPS policies. I look forward to working with all my new students both face to face and virtually.
Freshman health/physical education is a requirement for graduation in the great state of North Carolina. The State Department of Public Instruction states that Each North Carolina high school graduate must pass freshman health/pe! Freshman health/pe is a combination of health class and physical education class. Students should come prepared to dress out properly for physical education class everyday. We’ll have set times for health class. Our pe class will consist of daily stretching routines, exercises, dynamic stretching/running, cardiovascular training (jogging), occasional weight room workouts and many recreational games/activities. This is not basketball class! While we will spend some time on a basketball unit at some point it is not the default activity for our class. We here at Central Academy believe active teens grow up to be active adults. We’re very excited about this year and look forward to working with all our students and parents. Our health class will consist of daily journals, nutrition logs, and we will cover the components of total human wellness. Physical, emotional, and mental health are the three key components of total human wellness that we’ll cover this year as well as the state and county mandated sexual abstinence based reproduction unit. There are three options to choose from: Choice 1 Least restrictive program, Choice 2 Most restrictive, Choice 3 No participation in the abstinence program and an alternative assignment will be given. Parents please find the link to electronically sign the forms below.
Canvas: The majority of assignments will be submitted on our new "learning platform," Canvas. Assignments can be submitted a variety of ways including, uploading files, typing into text boxes, and sharing Google documents/presentations. Students not having used Canvas before should alert the teacher and they will be shown how to submit assignments on Canvas. Individual assignments will indicate which method of submission on Canvas is expected. If students need a refresher or have questions, they can access the Canvas Student Guide for specific instructions. It is the student's responsibility to ensure assignments are submitted on time and to contact the instructor if there is a problem. The Canvas Learning Platform logs every student log-in on Canvas which provides teachers with a list of when students log-in to Canvas using their user id.
Fridays time will be different, follow the schedule that will be given out. You will have an assignment to complete on Friday's that will be due that day. You will have to sign on into Canvas on Friday's and complete it that day. You do NOT have to sign into Microsoft Teams during the designated meeting times on Friday's. You MUST log into Canvas and complete that day's assignment. It will be considered an absence if you do not sign in.
Rules for Freshman Health/Physical Education
- Students will follow all school rules and always use proper social distancing
- Students will wear their mask as mandated by UCPS
- When remote learning students will adhere to school dress code
- Students will respect each other and all school employees
- Students will be encouragers not discouragers!
- Students will be prepared to dress out in appropriate workout clothing for pe each day.
- Students will be required to wear proper gym shoes.
- Students will be issued a locker and a lock to use for an issued locker in the locker room which they will be required to use each day. They’ll take the lock off each day as they leave and bring it each and every day. The school will not be liable for anything lost or taken from students who forget their lock or don’t use it as instructed. Students will return the lock at the end of the year. There will be a $10.00 charge for all who don’t return lock.
- Students will be required to check in the gym with their pe teacher before going to the locker room to get dressed out. Students will be charged with a tardy for failure to comply with this rule.
- According to UCPS covid 19 policy students will be allowed to dress out.
- The locker rooms will be sanitized and social distancing will be practiced and class numbers will be substantially lower to alleviate crowding.
- Students who don’t dress out properly will have points deducted from their grade. Dressing out is an all or none proposition. They’re either fully dressed out or they aren’t dressed out.
- Students who can’t dress out due to medical reasons will be excused with a doctors note. This does not mean Dr. Mom. We need this to be from a true MD.
- Students who are medically excused will be given a written assignment in order to receive a grade for the day or days they are excused.
- Notes from sports therapist will not be accepted unless the therapist is a true MD!!
- Dress out clothing should be appropriate. No obscene shirts, sagging shorts, rolled down shorts, low cut shirts, and all shirts must have sleeves. Should there be any question of whether your clothing is appropriate you should ask yourself just one question. When I go to our principal Mrs.Merritt, will she agree that my clothing is appropriate!
- Students should always let me know if they have any health issues I may need to be made aware of. This is very important as student safety is our number one concern.
- Students should report to the teacher any and all instances of bullying as it will not be tolerated! Tardy Policy
- 1st/2nd Tardy:Warning from an administrator in the front office (1st period) and the teacher in the classroom (all periods)
3rd Tardy: Warning from an administrator in the front office (1st period) and the teacher in the classroom (all periods). The teacher will contact the parent on the third tardy by phone.
4th/5th Tardy: Warning from an administrator in the front office (1st period) and the teacher in the classroom (all periods). The teacher will submit a discipline referral to the administration and 1 day ASD with administration. The administration will contact the parent.
6th/7th Tardy: Warning from an administrator in the front office (1st period) and the teacher in the classroom (all periods). The teacher will submit a discipline referral to the administration and 2 days ASD with administration. The administration will contact the parent.
8th Tardy: Warning from an administrator in the front office (1st period) and the teacher in the classroom (all periods). The teacher will submit a discipline referral to the administration and 3 days ASD. The administration will set up a parent conference, create a written plan, and possible additional consequences.
- Students will have a chance to earn 10 points per day in freshman health/pe.
- Students may earn 4 points for dressing out properly each day
- Students may earn 6 points for actively participating in health/pe class each day.
- Should a student not dress out properly they can still earn their participation points for the day as long as they actively participate in class.
- Students who dress out properly and do not actively participate in class may not earn their participation points.
- As stated earlier students must have a Dr.'s note to be excused from PE.
- When excused from PE they will be given an alternative health assignment.
- When in health class the students will have the opportunity to earn 10 points per day.
I look forward to enjoying a great semester of health/Physical Education with all my students!
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.