CP Biology Syllabus
Mrs. Beth Walker
Course Description: Biology is the study of living things and how they interact with each other and their environment. We will study the smallest unit of life, the cell, and how cells interact to form a functioning living organism. We will also study the molecule in the cell that is passed on from parent to offspring. The mechanisms of heredity and how they relate to evolution will make up an important unit in Biology. Ecology and a basic study of living organisms such as bacteria, plants, and animals will be included in our survey of life.
- Introduction to Biology
- Cell Structure & Transport
- Energy in a Cell
- Cell Division
- Genetics & Heredity
- DNA, Protein Synthesis & Biotechnology
- Evolution & Classification
- EOC Review
What to Expect:
- Homework is to reinforce the information we learn daily in class; few people retain what they learn when they only hear/see/do that activity one time.
- If you have homework, it is extremely important that you complete it since you will not have homework every night.
- Most assignments will take about 10-20 minutes to complete.
- Nightly review/study of the notes from class is a necessity to be successful in the class.
- Tutoring will be available, as needed.
- Progress reports will be sent home to every student, every six weeks.
End-of-Course Exam: All students MUST score a level 3 or higher on their Biology End-of-Course exam to pass Biology and receive credit towards graduation in Biology. Biology is required to graduate and receive a diploma from the state of North Carolina. This means that ALL students must complete their homework nightly, study nightly, attend tutoring when needed, and develop strong study habits in Biology from day #1. In addition, the North Carolina End of Course exam will count as 25% of the student’s final grade in Biology. The remaining 75% of the grade will come from the three six-week grades. There are no exam exemptions in this course.
Grades are calculated on a point scale. Tests are worth approximately 100 points, quizzes range from 10-50 points, and homework ranges from 10-40 points. Labs count varying amounts depending on the length and depth of the lab. The StudyBuddy/Interactive Notebook will be graded frequently, count as a significant portion of your grade, and provide evidence of your efforts and learning.
Benchmark Assessments: District-wide Benchmark assessments will be given to all students four times during the semester. Scores on Benchmark Assessments are used to determine which students need additional remediation in Biology.
Extra Credit: I only assign extra credit to an entire class, so students should take advantage of all extra credit opportunities.
Tutoring: Tutoring will be available on an as-needed basis, at 7:45 am. Contact Mrs. Walker to schedule a tutoring session. Please do not wait until the last minute to get help with concepts that you are struggling with.
Canvas: All notes, assignments, helpful links, etc., are posted to our Canvas page. You are expected to visit the site daily. You are also expected to bring your laptop AND charger to class daily. If you are absent, what we did in class and the homework will also be listed on Canvas Announcements. You are expected to check this information and print/write it down before returning to class.
- Pencils & Blue/Black pens
- Colored Pencils
- 80 page Spiral Bound Notebook
- 3 Rolls of Transparent Tape ( 1 roll per six weeks)
- Ear Buds/Headphones
- Phone me at 704-753-2810
- E-mail me: firstname.lastname@example.org -- I will do my best to e-mail you back within 24 hours (during weekdays)
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.