Welcome to Introduction to STEM – STEM Careers and Mechanisms
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. These skills have been determined to be the skills needed for employment in the 21st Century. Students in the sixth grade are introduced to STEM Careers and to the basics of STEM through Mechanisms. Students will learn simple machines, mechanical advantage and how to calculate mechanical advantage for simple machines and some complex machines, forces and how to calculate several forces, Newton’s Laws of Motion, work and how to calculate work. Students will use various online curriculums.
Composition Notebook for class notes and other activities
Classroom Procedures: Responsible, Respectful, Prepared, and Safe
All classroom rules with fail under one of these categories. In addition to these guidelines, no food, drink, or gum is allowed in class. We will be using the PBIS system for rewarding good behavior. If a student does not follow the guidelines, a disciplinary consequence can occur.
- Respect other’s
personal space and property.
- Respond to others appropriately.
- Actively listen and
participate in class instruction.
- Don’t interrupt
classmates or teacher.
- Go directly to your assigned area.
- Complete all
- Clean up your area.
- Take care of school property.
- Arrive with all
- Arrive with a positive attitude ready to learn.
- Arrive to class and be seated on time.
- Practice self-control in all situations.
- Follow staff
directions and requests.
- Keep your hands and feet to yourself.
- Verbal Warning/Problem Solve
- Parent Contact (email or phone call)
- Parent Conference
- Assign Silent Lunch or Training Camp (Contact parent each time.)
*After three Silent Lunches and/or Training Camps an Office Referral is written.
- Office Referral
*Written by a teacher resulting in one of the following consequences from administration:
- Saturday School
- In School Suspension
- Out of School Suspension
Your grades will come from the following areas:
- 50% Classwork including pre-tests, activities (tasks), critical thinking questions, and any other classwork assigned
- 40% Quizzes
- 10% Tests
It is important for students to be here every day. Students should turn in any work missed within two days. With our curriculum online, students will have access to lessons, critical thinking questions, and quizzes anytime they have Internet connection (including school and home).
There is no reason for students to be tardy to class without a note. Tardies will be treated as a discipline issue. The first tardy is a warning. Every subsequent tardy will result in a phone call to parent/guardian. The fourth tardy will result in a referral to the office.
- Do not turn computers on or off unless instructed to do so.
- Only access those files or programs to which you have been given permission.
- Do not change any settings on the classroom laptop.
- Keep your hands on your computer only (helping is not an excuse).
- Seating Chart: There will be a seating chart for both the desks in the room and the desktop computers. Seating arrangements may change at any time.
- Substitutes: If I am absent from class, treat any substitute as a guest in the classroom. Inappropriate behavior will warrant appropriate discipline up to and including an office referral.
- In an emergency: First, remain calm and quiet. I will give you instructions as how to proceed.
- Visitors and the Intercom: Please be respectful when a visitor comes into the room. When an announcement is made, please be respectful and quiet. The information being relayed may concern you.
- Things that come up: Sometimes things come up that cannot be helped. Remember that we all need to be flexible and patient. There may be changes to schedules, rules, procedures, assignments, etc. that will ultimately make your school experience better.
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.