POB: Demonstrate literacy, written, research, verbal and presentation skills.
Directions: Students will research an assigned state using reputable sources available on the internet. This project will count for three separate grades:
- Grade for answering the questions in detail (72pts) (classwork)
- Grade for the actual presentation (72pts)
- Grade for the verbal presentation (54pts)
Step 1: Students should copy and paste the questions listed below in a Google document. Students will research the answers to the questions for the state they have been assigned, placing the answers into the Google document. Save the file as: assigned state-your lastname.
Step 2: When complete, upload completed questions to correct link in Canvas. (72pts)
Step 3: Once all questions have been answered for the assigned state, students will develop a presentation providing the results of their research. Be sure to follow the presentation rubric provided and use correct: paragraph and/or bullet format complete sentences, proper grammar, capitalization, and punctuation.
Step 4: UPLOAD the completed presentation to the Google classroom. You will be required to verbally present your findings to the class.
Possible sources of information include:
- What is the name of the state that you are researching? Where is it located?
- What is the climate and topography of the state? Is the state “land locked”, or close to the sea or ocean? Are there mountains, jungle, marsh lands, or desert? What is the average temperature?
- What is the size of the state you are researching? Provide a comparison that illustrates the state’s size relative to the state of North Carolina. (ex: about the size of Texas, or 4 football fields)
- What is the state capital?
- What is the largest city within the state?
- What is the total population? Provide details on the population breakout? Ex:
- Number of males?
- Number of females?
- Number of people over the age of 55, or the number of people under 18 years of age.
- If possible illustrate the number of people that are between the ages of:
ii. 4-24 (Generation Z)
iii. 25-39 (Generation Y or Millennials)
iv. 40-54 (Generation X)
v. 55-75 (Baby Boomers)
vi. 76 and over
- What is the literacy rate for that state?
- What is the average income level for people living in the state?
- What is the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the state? Or provide the total amount of all goods and services produced within a specific time period?
- What is the Gross Domestic Product per person, or GDP per capita?
- What are the major industries or types of businesses within the state that contribute to the state’s GDP? Ex: Agriculture, Mining, Fishing, Technology, Manufacturing, Banking, Hotel/Service, Etc.
- What types of products does the state import? What types of products does the state export?
- Provide at least THREE fun facts about the state!!!!!